Subject: Re: Opera News Online
From: Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 19 Nov 2016 11:50:18 -0500

Agree completely.   A couple of years ago, I think, there was an issue which
had some light criticism of the Met or Met management--forget the specific
details--and Mr. Gelb was having none of that.  Although at the time Opera
News was associated with the Met, it also had some independence (necessary
for legitimacy) and so was able to be a more balanced, interesting magazine.
After that incident, it seems to me the entire purpose for Opera News
changed and it became simple PR, with no bite, little zing, and much fluff
and stuff.  Even the reviews seem telescoped through a PR vantage point.

They also seem highly politicalized.  They did a series of reviews from the
Salzburg Summer Festival--and left out the big draw of Otello completely.
Good, bad, or indifferent, the production was the centerpiece and they
ignored it.  To my eyes, they seem to be spending more time of US theaters
(big and small) than on major European houses.  Maybe that's what the crowd
wants but for many of us, especially the 'ugly Americans' who are severely
language impaired (guilty, though I have tried!) the only way to keep up
with what happens on the continent is to have a mag like Opera News report.
And NOT just on the productions which star the singers who will be appearing
at the Met in upcoming productions.

One of the only reasons I remain in the guild, since there is precious
little reason to actually be a member, is for the magazine.  I used to read
it cover to cover.  Now I glance at it and pitch.  Mr. Gelb apparently got
his wish:  he has effectively turned a fierce beast into a lap dog for the
Met.

Opinions may vary, of course.