Subject: Dimitri Mitropoulos
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 19 Nov 2016 11:29:10 -0500

Don and list

I was privileged to see Mitropoulos in four truly memorable
performances at the Met during the 1959-60 season -

Butterfly with Antonietta Stella, who, after Renata Scotto, was the
greatest Cio Cio San in my experience. She was beautiful to behold,
moved with extraordinary grace, and sang with a fullness of tone and
a top register that were breathtaking. The production had been hers a
year earlier, and they were a near perfect combination.

Cavalleria with Giulietta Simionato. Among my greatest memories!
She was defining. Bergonzi was Canio that night.

The premiere of Simon Boccanegra, the evening of Leonard Warren's
last complete performance. He died later in the week during "La Forza
del Destino" with Tebaldi. Mitropoulos also conducted Boccanegra
a month larer when Anselmo Colzani made his memorable Met debut in
the title role.

All were superb, as much for the music from the pit as from the stage.
Mitropoulos died in Milan before the year was out. To his memory!

Modify your settings: