Subject: Re: Clarification of my Tebaldi - Manon Lescaut comment
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 19 Nov 2016 10:09:29 -0600

Nowhere is this more the case than in Tebaldi’s Cavalleria recording. Magnificent singing by her, Bjoerling and Bastianini marred by the lackluster conducting of Erede.

But that’s often the case in the house as well. In Chicago, as I keep griping about, we had countless performances with world-class singing that were hampered by the insipid conducting of LOCs longtime music director.

Kurt Youngmann

> On Nov 19, 2016, at 8:04 AM, Max Paley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> The choice of Erede, a dull conductor, is still a mystery to me. His
>> routine conducting often mars many of the Tebaldi's studio recordings from
>> the early to mid-50s, when her voice was most glorious.
>>
>> Vesna

“Ignorance and superstition ever bear a close and mathematical relation to each other.”

—James Fenimore Cooper, quoted in Closures: Webster’s Quotations, Facts and Phrases, 2008 and Superstitions: Webster’s Quotations, Facts and Phrases, 2008.