Subject: Re: Bergonzi - box office
From: tom ponti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 19 Nov 2016 13:35:58 +0000

So true! The other day, on You Tube, I watched his performances at the Levine Gala. I was reminded again how great he was that night at age 72. As good as the aria was, I believe he had four or five curtain calls, he was even greater in the Lombardi trio with Anderson and Furlanetto. In that trio performance he displayed just about every aspect of his vocal greatness: legato, breath control, phrasing and the ability to dominate a trio of much younger singers without shouting. He may have been a poor stage actor, but vocally, he was the only singer who brought me to near tears with his Adina Credimi in Elisir. The combination of vocal beauty, control and feeling was incredible that Saturday night. He was not the super star that Corelli, Pavarotti, Del Monaco, di Stefano or Domingo were. Overall though, IMHO, he was the finest Italian Opera tenor I ever saw at the Met between 1962-1995.