Subject: Re: Bergonzi - box office
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 19 Nov 2016 08:14:42 -0500

Carlo Bergonzi was certainly not a matinee idol, but at the Met
he sold very well. Di Stefano and Del Monaco were mega stars
who featured good looks along with vocal skills, but Bergonzi had
a very loyal following in New York and his ovations were as large
as those for any of his rivals. In fact, he received the longest
ovation I have ever heard for a tenor when he sang "O Paradiso"
in a Met concert around 1968 and the longest ovation I've ever
heard for a tenor in an opera, after "Cielo e Mar" in Gioconda.
Audiences packed the Met for his peerless Riccardo in "Ballo"
and the combination of Scotto and Bergonzi in L'Elisir" was box
office magic. As late as 1999, he sang a recital in Tully Hall that
may not have been sold out, but I did not see an empty seat. He
was seventy four years old!

To his memory!

Bob