Subject: Re: Clarification of my Tebaldi - Manon Lescaut comment
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 18 Nov 2016 18:54:11 -0500

Don Paolo

Richard Tucker was superb in the role, and it is among the
great operatic head scratchers that he never made a studio
recording. There is a magnificent live performance from
Caracas with Magda Olivero that has been circulating for
many years, and in very good sound. She matched him at
every turn. He is peerless in Act 3, and she owns the fourth.

Our dear late friend, Tom Savage, who graced this forum for
many years, thought it the greatest performance of the opera
he had ever heard, and when he played it for me, I couldn't
argue between it and the Met Albanese/Bjoerling from the Met.

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? ;-)

Bob