Subject: Re: Clarification of my Tebaldi - Manon Lescaut comment
From: Wadeworks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 18 Nov 2016 18:49:19 -0500

thinking more about this, I wonder how DiStefano got the l'Elisir d'amore
recording for Decca in 1955, while he was still active recording for EMI.  I
would never have imagined that it would be interesting to Del Monaco, but
maybe there was a spat going on with him and Legge at that point.  I don't
recall reading anything about that.  Maybe it was just that HMV had done
their Elisir in 1952 (1953?) with Gobbi/Monti/Carosio/Santini and the
Columbia powers-that-be weren't interested in the opera any more until
stereo (Carteri, Alva) came around.

Modify your settings: