Subject: Re: Clarification of my Tebaldi - Manon Lescaut comment
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 18 Nov 2016 05:56:26 +0000

Speaking of Manon Lescaut and Tebaldi, her Decca studio commercial recording is badly crippled by the bellowing of Mario del Monaco, who had about as much charm and elegance as he who is about to become our new leader. When Tebaldi sings alone, the sound is ravishing, but when she has to compete with del Monaco's blatantly loud Otello-like approach to Des Grieux, the bellowing seems to overtake HER as well. The recording should have used a different tenor, like a very young Carlo Bergonzi. Bjoerling would not have been possible because of his affiliation with RCA. I admire del Monaco on a few of Tebaldi's recordings, but most certainly not on this Manon Lescaut. I suppose we should be grateful that he didn't end up on her Butterfly or Boheme recordings, where Bergonzi sang so beautifully.
Just a passing opinion.