Subject: Re: Clarification of my Tebaldi - Manon Lescaut comment
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 17 Nov 2016 15:31:41 -0600

When she sang it here in Chicago in ’57 she was in absolutely top form. Added bonuses were Bjoerling’s des Grieux, the Geronte of the wonderful Carlo Badioli and Tullio Serafin’s mastery of the score.

Kurt Youngmann

PS She also looked delicious!

PPS For the record we got to see her in four operas that year. Her other roles were Desdemona, Adriana and Maddalena.

> On Nov 17, 2016, at 2:55 PM, Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> After I sent my first post, I realized I left something
> out. The great, almost universally admired revival
> was in 58-9. She sang a number at the New Met in the late
> sixties, but they were generally not well received and they were
> far from sold out. My apology for not noting that earlier.
>
> Bob

"It has often and confidently been asserted, that man's origin can never be known: but ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science." - Charles Darwin - introduction to “The Descent of Man.”