Re: Clarification of my Tebaldi - Manon Lescaut comment

"Takis Pavl." <[log in to unmask]>

Takis Pavl.

Fri, 18 Nov 2016 08:20:24 +0000

text/plain

Yes, this is the one recording I struggle with Del Monaco the most (I haven't dared his Duke in Rigoletto yet). Tebaldi is exquisite as Manon Lescaut but he ruins the duets for me. Another option would have been Giuseppe Campora, he recorded the first Butterfly and Tosca recordings with Tebaldi and though I prefer Bergonzi, Campora would have been much more lyrical than Del Monaco. Campora is a fantastic Radames in Tebaldi's Aida soundtrack and some of her Violettas, where he sounds much better than on his early Decca recordings. Fortunately Tebaldi recorded the final scene of Manon Lescaut with Di Stefano for RAI in 1954 and it's stunning. Eugenio Fernandi again for RAI in 1958 is also quite good so there are other options to enjoy the duets with Tebaldi but without Del Monaco..

Bjoerling and Tebaldi were not a good pairing in my opinion. He's too Nordic for her free Italian sound. Even in the famous filmed Boheme duet their sounds just don't match, his acting is also way too stiff. I also wish Del Monaco had recorded Cavaleria Rusticana with Tebaldi.
Takis