Subject: Re: Imelda Staunton in "Gypsy"
From: Ombrarecds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 13 Nov 2016 22:31:37 -0600

My PBS station ran Gypsy several times. I could only watch in segments, so repulsive was Staunton's performance. Everything was forte, no shading. Could NOT sing, and she was totally unattractive. Hideous is too kind a word.
The orchestra was mediocre, the strippers looked as if they had advanced social diseases, and the whole production was forgettable. Merman, Peters, Midler I have seen more than once in the role. No comparison.

Patrick Byrne

Sent from my iPhone