Subject: Re: Imelda Staunton in "Gypsy"
From: Premiere Opera <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 13 Nov 2016 18:19:57 -0500

Yes they did. She transposed Everything's coming up roses in Act 1, and the
entire  Rose's turn in act 2. I don't sit there with a pitchpipe, but I am
also sure she transposed You'll Never Get Away From Me. I think almost
everyone did- of the good or great Mama Roses. Not to be too  operatic the
tessiture is incredibly high in that song, and Merman tossed it off as if
it were a piece of cake!
And the sound of the British Rose was hoarse and strident, IMO. Once you
have seen the original, and the best, and the one and only, all others pale
by comparison, and this one really paled, IMO.

Ed

--

Best,

Matt @ Premiere Opera