Subject: Re: Imelda Staunton in "Gypsy"
From: tom ponti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 13 Nov 2016 22:29:50 +0000

Though I did not see Merman in Gypsy, I did see her as Annie when they did the revival at Lincoln Center. No doubt her voice was amplified, but it still sounded strong but less brassy than on records. She also was able to float soft high notes in Moonshine Lullaby.  The story goes that many years ago, someone had Toscanini attend a Merman show. When asked what he thought of her the Maestro used an Italian phrase meaning, great singer with an ugly voice.