Subject: Re: Imelda Staunton in "Gypsy"
From: Hermine Stover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 13 Nov 2016 14:18:13 -0800

At 11:09 AM 11/13/2016, donald kane wrote:
>I guess you missed Bette Middler In the superior 1993
>telecast, not to mention the incredible Merman original.
>What Jules Styne wrote was actually quite singable.
>Staunton's relentless shouting and screaming gave me
>a headache.

Bette really was a burlesque queen, a bit out of  the time, with a
very well tuned knowledge of which of her voices and her selves
belonged together. A really beautifully voiced woman with stage presence.

I guess I feel about Ethel the way Ernest Borgnine felt. a friend
opined that the reason their union was so brief is that every morning
she would put her mouth next to his ear and shriek "Hi, Ern, its the
Merm, Ern!".

hermine

---