Subject: Re: Gypsy with Imelda Staunton
From: Suzy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 13 Nov 2016 20:56:28 +0000

Hi.

I agree with Donald Kane and the other listers who did not enjoy the English production of Gypsy.

For me, the irritant was not so much Staunton's voice but the overwrought, over-the-top acting.

Questionable casting all round. I love Lara Pulver and she has an excellent voice, but I did not buy her as Louise, although her Little Lamb was sung sweetly. Perhaps she was just too old and knowing (she was 35 at time of production.

And Rose's Turn-shudder. The acting would have been more suited to Medea.

Is it just me, or did you want to hit Baby June with a two-by-four for the squeak that accompanied every phrase she sang?

I have seen many Roses, (only heard Merman on LP) from Roz Russell in movie to Angela Lansbury onstage, Tyne Daly, Bette Midler and Bernadette Peters and Staunton came off worst although she certainly sang better than Daly.

I wanted so much to like this, as I like Imelda Staunton and Lara Pulver and, of course the divine musical that is Gypsy, but this was an appalling production. The rest of the cast was pretty lackluster.

Yet, the British adored the whole thing and gave Staunton and Pulver Baftas. Over the Pond, they all loved it.

I hear Staunton is going to do Follies next, I am guessing as Sally. Hope she gets a better director to tone her down.

Sometimes it's a question of culture-do the English not "get" this musical? I exempt Angela Lansbury. Or was it badly directed?

Suzy from Philly.

I was hoping this would countermand the bad taste in my mouth from Tuesday night's doings. It didn't.