Subject: Re: Imelda Staunton in "Gypsy"
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 13 Nov 2016 20:10:41 +0000

I was fourteen years old when my parents took me to see "Gypsy" in Chicago. Of course I saw Merman, whose voice I can still hear in the role. She was so electrifying that I still remember it. Here was this very short lady who when she opened her mouth, was like a Broadway counterpart to Birgit Nilsson in Wagner/Strauss. We had great seats up close, but Merman projected throughout the theater.
I've read many times that it was the biggest disappointment of her career when stupid Hollywood gave the role to Roz Russell, with Liza Kirk doing the vocals. The film suffered for it. Merman could well have won an Oscar for it.
I have a freshly minted version of Merman's Mama Rose. She's still the measuring stick against all others will stand --------------------- for me at least.

Les