Subject: Re: Crucible cast
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 13 Nov 2016 14:34:47 -0500

Thank you for saying that, Idia. I only heard the broadcast of Sweeney (though I do have a
colleague who saw the production live) and I was so disappointed. Not much life in the musical
interpretation (was the conductor bored?), and conversely much of it was oversung in a way
that didn't serve the text well (the text is way too important in Sondheim). And then the
spoken dialogue, especially in the case of the title character, was way too heavy-handed
(delivered in a ripe "opera-speak" voice rather than anything genuine and English-sounding).

This was one of those productions that, sorry Mr. Camner, tends to reinforce the opinion that
opera companies should not do musical theatre. They just didn't get the style. Not one bit.

I did enjoy hearing The Crucible SO much more. This is the kind of piece Glimmerglass
SHOULD be doing. ;-)