Subject: Re: Imelda Staunton in "Gypsy"
From: Premiere Opera <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 13 Nov 2016 14:33:17 -0500

I watched Gypsy on PBS and agree with Donald. Of course I was blessed in
having seen the original with Merman 3 times in 1959-60. It was like night
and day.

First I shudder to admit that I am not familiar with Staunton, but her
voice was not at all up to the endless demands of this very long role with
countless songs, and I didn't think much of her acting, either. Besides, I
know this isn't the Met, but they had to transpose all o Rose's music down,
way down.

I did enjoy watching it since I haven't seen the entire Broadway show in a
very, very long time, but was disappointed in the central character, who is
NOT Gypsy Rose Lee. It is if one leaves of the Gypsy and the Lee!!

Ed

--

Best,

Matt @ Premiere Opera