Subject: Re: Imelda Staunton in "Gypsy"
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 13 Nov 2016 14:09:26 -0500

I guess you missed Bette Middler In the superior 1993
telecast, not to mention the incredible Merman original.
What Jules Styne wrote was actually quite singable.
Staunton's relentless shouting and screaming gave me
a headache.  Is she the best the British can come up
with now?   The entire production was much too frantic
and overwrought except for Louise's birthday song and her
scene with Tulsa; she stole the show for me.

dtmk