Subject: Re: SF Opera "Aida"
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 8 Nov 2016 08:35:29 -0800

I was actually just responding to Hermine’s note about Troyanos, not attempting an Amneris survey.

I regret that Simionato had stopped singing the role before I started going to the opera.  Bumbry was still very active as a mezzo, but I didn’t happen to see her.

Of the ones that I saw:  Lilova, Verrett, Baldani, Cossotto, Troyanos, Fassbinder,  Toczyska, Terentieva, Zajick, Borodina, Diadkova, Semenchuk (I know I’m forgetting someone in there), the one who impressed me most as having the “total package” of voice, looks, acting, musicality and overall interpretation was Verrett.  Others were lusher and louder of voice, but she had what it took and was both slinky and sexy as well as overpowering in her rage and regret.

Baldani was easily the worst - couldn’t believe she was on an international stage.  Even more surprised when I saw her again in a Karajan Salzburg performance conducted by Karajan, and she was still terrible.

Biggest positive surprise was Toczyska.  Had seen her as Laura and thought she was OK, but her Amnesia was a knockout, visually and vocally.

A friend told me that Simionato burned in his memory;  not just the voice, but the repressed movements and flashing eyes devouring Radames.  He also was very impressed by Regina Resnik in the role.

Max Paley