Subject: Re: "Lulu" is the greatest opera ever. Discuss.
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 12 Nov 2016 10:24:46 -0500

Actually (and quite honestly), I could easily go through the rest of my life without hearing
either Vilja or the famous Waltz tune ever again. Some of the rest of the score - fine. But I
do have to admit that I've just never quite warmed to "The Merry Widow" even though I
know it's one of the most popular operettas ever. I'm more of a Fledermaus guy, lol. (And
a G&S guy, though I tend to think many people out here put those pieces in a different
category, even though they're as much operetta as any of the others we could suggest.)

As I think we discussed out here not all that long ago, comparing Lulu to Wozzeck,
Wozzeck is the hands-down winner. I love Lulu and am fascinated by the score, but
Wozzeck is the more satisfying and touching music-drama.

IMO, there is no "greatest opera ever." I can't think of things in those terms.