Subject: Sirius offerings, November 14, 2016- November 20, 2016
From: Robert White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 12 Nov 2016 08:45:23 -0500

Friends,
This week's performance selections leans heavily on the MOoD archive, and
that pleasantly results in 3 appearances by  Cesare Siepi in Don Giovanni,
Norma, and Ernani. I point out some major omissions  in terms of best
performances overall in my Don Giovanni annotation . For me the only real
loser is the second season of Francesca da Rimini.  The live performances
include the season's first Manon Lescaut with Netrebko introducing her
Puccini Manon to New York (I plan to be there); I was not impressed with
Armiliato's Aida conducting -- another performance scheduled  on Tuesday; I
found the male side of the cast quite weak, by contrast having heard bits
and pieces of the 1970 Tosca with Elinor Ross, Bergonzi, and Colzani under
Molinari-Pradelli, I plan to listen to the performance in toto.  Though
Tebaldi's classic performance will not be threatened.  this 1970 Tosca
sounds both authentic and vital.  For next week's offerings, the unsung
special is certainly the Falstaff.  Happy listening.
rww

Mozart: Don Giovanni *Mon Nov 14 6:00 am* 3/3/1973-Maag; Siepi, Moser,
Flagello, Lorengar, Shirley, Elias
*Rebroadcast:  *Wed Nov 16 12:00 pm ,  Fri Nov 18 9:00 pm

Last on Sirius: September 2015                   Available on
MetOperaonDemand (MOoD)         Annotation originally written in 2014

Once again I will make a plea for two of Siepi's great Don Giovanni
broadcasts, the first year of the Graf/Berman production in 1957 with
Bohm
conducting Steber and Della Casa, and a decade later in the first
season in Lincoln Center again with Bohm conducting and Sutherland in
a rare Met
non-Bonynge appearance with Lorengar and Flagello from this cast, but
6 years earlier. These two continuing omissions leave big gaps on both
Sirius
and MOoD. This 1973 broadcast is Siepi's Met broadcast farewell, his
final Met appearance coming a month later as the Don Basilio in
Rossini's
Barbiere. And while I am at it I will make a plea for Siepi's 3
unheard Faust Mephistophes-- 2 with Bjorling in 1950 and 1959 and his
final
broadcast of Faust with Gedda, Lorengar, and Merrill from 1969.

Bellini: Norma *Mon Nov 14 9:00 am *4/4/1970-Bonynge; Sutherland, Horne,
Bergonzi, Siepi
*Rebroadcast:  *Wed Nov 16 9:00 pm ,  Sat Nov 19 3:00 pm

Last on Sirius:  March 2015                        Available on
MOoD                                               Annotation from March
2013

This is Sutherland/Horne's first of two Met broadcasts  of Norma (both
in 1970 but different seasons).  One will not find stronger support
than Bergonzi and Siepi, and  the ladies stand up very well to the competition.

Wagner: Tristan und Isolde* Mon Nov 14 12:00 pm* 12/18/1999-Levine;
Heppner, Eaglen, Dalayman, Pape, Ketelsen
*Rebroadcast:  *Thu Nov 17 6:00 am ,  Sat Nov 19 6:00 pm

Last on Sirius:  December 2015                Available on
MOoD                                               Annotation from December
2012

The highlight of this performance is Pape's stupendous Marke.  His
voice is at his peak, and worth your time. The video of a performance
from one week earlier with the same cast is is available on DVD and
MOoD (in addition).  Heppner is a decent Tristan and Dalayman an
excellent Brangane.  Eaglen is Ok, but she was better when she first
did it in Seattle a few years earlier.

Puccini: Manon Lescaut (LIVE FROM THE MET) (P) *Mon Nov 14 7:55 pm*  Armiliato;
Netrebko, Alvarez, Maltman, Sherratt

*TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 22, 2016*

Massenet: Thais *Tue Nov 15 12:00 am* 12/20/2008-Lopez-Cobos; Fleming,
Hampson, Schade
*Rebroadcast:  *Wed Nov 16 3:00 pm ,  Fri Nov 18 6:00 am ,  Sun Nov 20 9:00
am

Last on Sirius:  March 2016                       Available on
MOoD                                            Annotation from March 2016

Although the video has been available almost continuously on MOoD, I find
this performance preferable to the Sills Milnes, which was massively
overplayed in the first years of Sirius Radio. I rather like

Thais as a break from other titles in the repertory.

Zandonai: Francesca da Rimini *Tue Nov 15 6:00 am*  2/22/1986-Santi;
Scotto, Mauro, MacNeil, Lewis
*Rebroadcast:  *Thu Nov 17 3:00 pm ,  Sun Nov 20 12:00 am

Last on Sirius:  March
2016
Annotation from March 2016

This is the second season of this verismo rarity.  This is getting
late in the Scotto canon and is recommended for  devotees only.
MacNeil in both years of the production gives one of his most outsized
performances (check out the MOoD or the DVD with Domingo from the
first season.

Verdi: Stiffelio *Tue Nov 15 9:00 am*  3/5/1994-Levine; Domingo, Sweet,
Chernov, Plishka, Riberi
*Rebroadcast:  *Thu Nov 17 6:00 pm ,  Sat Nov 19 12:00 am

Last on Sirius: June 2016                      Available on
MOoD                                               Annotation from January
2013

Stiffelio was a Met premiere in 1993, and it was telecast and later
reissued on DVD.  The video is from the fall series of performances
(11/13/1993) which is also on MOoD. This broadcast is from the brief
spring series later that season. Stiffelio is a good part for Domingo
(and would have been a great one for Vickers). Chernov was still
promising at the time of this broadcast, but his two successors in the
part, Fu and Dobber show how weak the baritone ranks are.

Puccini: Madama Butterfly *Tue Nov 15 12:00 pm* 1/1/1966-Schick; Scotto,
Alexander, Grillo, Dunlap, Schmorr
*Rebroadcast:  *Thu Nov 17 9:00 pm ,  Sat Nov 19 9:00 am

Last on Sirius: April 2015                     Available on
MOoD                                                Annotation from
February 2014

This is *Scotto*'s first broadcast, after debuting the previous October.
This EVENING broadcast had one of the more infamous Singers Roundtables as
I remember (Milanov and Gedda come to mind)
remember but alas we never get the interrmission features. I don't much
care for *Dunlap* as Sharpless, but *Scotto* is a major *Butterfly*.

Strauss: Der Rosenkavalier *Tue Nov 15 3:00 pm*  3/19/1983-Levine;
Troyanos, Te Kanawa, Haugland, Blegen, Hammond-Stroud, Ciannella
*Rebroadcast:  *Fri Nov 18 12:00 am ,  Sat Nov 19 12:00 pm

Last on Sirius:  September 2015        Available on
MOoD                                                 Annotation from
November 2012

The ladies are sublime, and Haugland is a solid Ochs.  This is
Hammond-Stroud's farewell; Faninal gets some odd casting at the Met.

Verdi: Aida (LIVE FROM THE MET)*Tue Nov 15 7:25 pm*  Armiliato;
Monastyrska, Berti, Gubanova, Delavan, Belosselskiy

 *WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 16, 2016*

Verdi: Falstaff *Wed Nov 16 12:00 am  *3/8/1986-Levine; Taddei, Neblett,
Monk, Cossotto, Blegen, Ahlstedt
*Rebroadcast:  *Thu Nov 17 12:00 pm ,  Sat Nov 19 6:00 am

Last on Sirius: November 2015          Available on
MOoD                                               Annotation from November
2012

I am particularly glad to have this performance back on the radio.
Taddei and Cossotto make a most interesting pair, and I'm sorry she
did not do more of the part.  I don't have strong memories of Neblett
and Monk.  Taddei who came very late to the Met did this run of
Falstaff followed by a run
in L'elisir which was broadcast and has been on Sirius.  If they run
that performance again I will check it out. Taddei's actual Met
farewell is as Dulcamara in Met in the Pennsauken Cooper River Park in
New Jersey  with Hong as his Adina.  Taddei appeared as both Scarpia
and Rigoletto in Philadelphia (both with Tucker) and I also saw his
Leporello in Dallas (with Sutherland and the EMI gang), Germont (with
Callas) and much later Leporello again in San Francisco with Siepi.
The Met was not starving for good baritones in those days, so we got
too little of him and very late.  He has a nice non-Met legacy of
studio and live performances.  He died at 93 two years ago today (June
2, 2010).

Wagner: Das Rheingold *Wed Nov 16 6:00 am* 1/26/1957-Stiedry; Uhde, Thebom,
Vinay, Davidson, Bohme, Ernster
*Rebroadcast:  *Fri Nov 18 12:00 pm ,  Sun Nov 20 6:00 pm

Last on Sirius: October 2015           Available on
MOoD                                               Annotation from August
2012

The Stiedry Ring from 1957 has been a semi-regular on Sirius, and it's
a slightly different take on the opera than standard Bayreuth.  This
performance is especially worthwhile for Uhde, Vinay, Thebom, Madeira
and Bohme, well worth a listen.

Verdi: Ernani *Wed Nov 16 9:00 am* 12/29/1956-Mitropoulos; Del Monaco,
Milanov, Warren, Siepi
*Rebroadcast:  *Fri Nov 18 6:00 pm ,  Sun Nov 20 3:00 pm

Last on Sirius: February 2015         Available on
MOoD                                              Annotation from August
2013

Elvira is definitely a bit late for Milanov, but the men are the best
in the business for these roles in 1956, and all among the greatest
ever in these roles.

Mozart: Don Giovanni *Wed Nov 16 12:00 pm* 3/3/1973-Maag; Siepi, Moser,
Flagello, Lorengar, Shirley, Elias

Massenet: Thais *Wed Nov 16 3:00 pm* 12/20/2008-Lopez-Cobos; Fleming,
Hampson, Schade

Rossini: L'Italiana in Algeri *Wed Nov 16 6:00 pm* 1/4/1986-Levine; Horne,
Ahlstedt, Montarsolo, Monk
*Rebroadcast:  *Fri Nov 18 9:00 am ,  Sun Nov 20 12:00 pm

Last on Sirius:             January 2016        Available on MOoD   (see
note)                 Annotation from November 2013

This performance precedes the telecast by one week and that telecast
is available in MOoD.  For me, the distinction of the performance is
mostly Montarsolo.  Isabella is Horne's second most performed role at
37 (Carmen unsurprisingly is first at 49)   Her 3d is Adalgisa in
Norma (all with Sutherland).

Bellini: Norma *Wed Nov 16 9:00 pm *4/4/1970-Bonynge; Sutherland, Horne,
Bergonzi, Siepi

*THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 17, 2016*

Stravinsky: The Rake's Progress *Thu Nov 17 12:00 am* 1/17/1998-Levine;
Hadley, Upshaw, Ramey, Blythe
*Rebroadcast:  *Fri Nov 18 3:00 pm ,  Sun Nov 20 6:00 am

Last on Sirius: March
2016
Annotation from March 2016

This is a solid cast, but I find the Stravinsky work rather cold. We
are not finished with the first quarter of 2016 and already we are on
our second Rake's Progress rotation for the year (different cast and
performance) Is there a Stravinsky anniversary I've missed?

Wagner: Tristan und Isolde* Thu Nov 17 6:00 am* 12/18/1999-Levine; Heppner,
Eaglen, Dalayman, Pape, Ketelsen

Verdi: Falstaff *Thu Nov 17 12:00 pm  *3/8/1986-Levine; Taddei, Neblett,
Monk, Cossotto, Blegen, Ahlstedt

Zandonai: Francesca da Rimini *Thu Nov 17 3:00 pm*  2/22/1986-Santi;
Scotto, Mauro, MacNeil, Lewis

Verdi: Stiffelio *Thu Nov 17 6:00 pm*  3/5/1994-Levine; Domingo, Sweet,
Chernov, Plishka, Riberi

Puccini: Madama Butterfly *Thu Nov 17 9:00 pm* 1/1/1966-Schick; Scotto,
Alexander, Grillo, Dunlap, Schmorr

* FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 18, 2016*

 Strauss: Der Rosenkavalier *Fri Nov 18 12:00 am*  3/19/1983-Levine;
Troyanos, Te Kanawa, Haugland, Blegen, Hammond-Stroud

Massenet: Thais *Fri Nov 18 6:00 am* 12/20/2008-Lopez-Cobos; Fleming,
Hampson, Schade

Rossini: L'Italiana in Algeri *Fri Nov 18 9:00 am* 1/4/1986-Levine; Horne,
Ahlstedt, Montarsolo, Monk

Wagner: Das Rheingold *Fri Nov 18 12:00 pm* 1/26/1957-Stiedry; Uhde,
Thebom, Vinay, Davidson, Bohme, Ernster

Stravinsky: The Rake's Progress *Fri Nov 18 3:00 pm* 1/17/1998-Levine;
Hadley, Upshaw, Ramey, Blythe

Verdi: Ernani *Fri Nov 18 6:00 pm* 12/29/1956-Mitropoulos; Del Monaco,
Milanov, Warren, Siepi

Mozart: Don Giovanni *Fri Nov 18 9:00 pm* 3/3/1973-Maag; Siepi, Moser,
Flagello, Lorengar, Shirley, Elias

*SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 19, 2016*

Verdi: Stiffelio *Sat Nov 19 12:00 am*  3/5/1994-Levine; Domingo, Sweet,
Chernov, Plishka, Riberi

Verdi: Falstaff *Sat Nov 19 6:00 am  *3/8/1986-Levine; Taddei, Neblett,
Monk, Cossotto, Blegen, Ahlstedt

Puccini: Madama Butterfly *Sat Nov 19 9:00 am* 1/1/1966-Schick; Scotto,
Alexander, Grillo, Dunlap, Schmorr

Strauss: Der Rosenkavalier *Sat Nov 19 12:00 pm*  3/19/1983-Levine;
Troyanos, Te Kanawa, Haugland, Blegen, Hammond-Stroud

Bellini: Norma *Sat Nov 19 3:00 pm *4/4/1970-Bonynge; Sutherland, Horne,
Bergonzi, Siepi

Wagner: Tristan und Isolde* Sat Nov 19 6:00 pm* 12/18/1999-Levine; Heppner,
Eaglen, Dalayman, Pape, Ketelsen

*SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 20, 2016*

Zandonai: Francesca da Rimini *Sun Nov 20 12:00 am*  2/22/1986-Santi;
Scotto, Mauro, MacNeil, Lewis

Stravinsky: The Rake's Progress *Sun Nov 20  6:00 am* 1/17/1998-Levine;
Hadley, Upshaw, Ramey, Blythe

Massenet: Thais *Sun Nov 20  9:00 am* 12/20/2008-Lopez-Cobos; Fleming,
Hampson, Schade

Rossini: L'Italiana in Algeri *Sun Nov 20 12:00 pm* 1/4/1986-Levine; Horne,
Ahlstedt, Montarsolo, Monk

Verdi: Ernani *Sun Nov 20 3:00 pm* 12/29/1956-Mitropoulos; Del Monaco,
Milanov, Warren, Siepi

Wagner: Das Rheingold *Sun Nov 20 6:00 pm* 1/26/1957-Stiedry; Uhde, Thebom,
Vinay, Davidson, Bohme, Ernster

THE MET ON RECORD: Mozart: Le Nozze di Figaro (1990)Sun Nov 20 9:00 pm  Levine;
Furlanetto, Upshaw, Te Kanawa, Hampson, von Otter

--
Robert W. White

Home: 515 Anderson Avenue, Apt. 6D
Cliffside Park, NJ 07010
Cell: 201-803-1142; Land 201-943-5302
Email  [log in to unmask]

Interim  Director Pals Plus, Clifton, NJ
Executive Director 1986-2015,  BCCLS, Hackensack, NJ