From: Frank Cadenhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 12 Nov 2016 05:16:44 -0500

But can we get back to opera?  How will the presidency of Donald Trump affect
this? This could be very important for the future of American opera. As everyone
here knows, opera is exclusively an international activity and those who sang in
your house last Tuesday are now singing in Barcelona or Frankfurt tonight.

Those of you who voted for Donald Trump may not know, but the world's reaction
is largely very negative. It is impossible for the larger population of any other
Western country to understand how such an absurd figure could be elected to hold
power. This, of course, will be particularly true for the educated, internationally
minded classes who make up all of the opera structure and audience around the

It is clear to me that the reputation of the United States has been impacted in a
major way and, certainly, this impression will not improve as the Trump
administration begins its programs. Will more stars, like Kaufmann, start
restricting their appearances in the US? Will European conducting talent, always in
demand everywhere, start making different choices? We already can assume that
just the distance travelled already makes foreign talent a bit reluctant to make a
voyage. How with this new international impression of America change things?

Frank Cadenhead

On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 22:32:19 +0000, Bruce P <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>As someone who does not live in the U.S., I fail to see why this is in any way a
relevant comment to make...Not all of us on this listserv live in the U.S.  or care
about the election results. Like others have said, can we please get back to opera?

Modify your settings: