Subject: Re: IT'S OVER AND IT'S TIME TO MOVE ON TO OPERA
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 11 Nov 2016 16:27:35 -0500

In terms of the specific use of this listserv, I think we need to be tolerant and
compssionate with each other in a time like this. Some of us may indeed need to vent, or
express our fears, etc, using online forums like this - and some of us may feel more
comfortable doing that with an "online family" they already know (dysfunctional a family
as it may be, lol) as opposed to just going to a more unfamiliar politically-themed site,
etc. A monumental thing has just happened in America, whichever side one was on - and
those of us that expected/wanted the dems to win were really thrown and shocked by the
result.

There is obviously no comparison to events like 9/11 or the Boston Marathon bombing (I
was mere blocks away from there when it happened, in the middle of a rehearsal) or other
horrible tragedies - but for many of us, I think the overwhelming sense of shock and grief
is the same.

I remember how compassionate and concerned people were, on the old NY Times Opera
Forum, in the aftermath of 9/11 (other music/arts forums I belonged to were similarly
receptive to "off topic" discussions in light of the tragedy). While I don't think we should
*encourage* political discussion here, I am sympathetic to those in our OPERA-L world
who feel the need to reach out to what may feel like a safe, comfortable place to express.

Sondheim penned a lyric about national unrest that has been in my head for the last few
days (in context, about the aftermath of assassination, but I think we can relate it to any
overwhelming event such as the current one) - "Hurts a while, but soon the country's back
where it belongs. And that's the truth." And I tend to believe that. Things will normalize -
we just have to allow ourselves the process of getting there. Yes, I'm scared of what
trump may do. But I realize it's the shock of the election itself that has made me feel the
most unsettled in the last few days. And I've been encouraged by the collegiality we've
seen in the transition so far (including trump's acceptance speech, free of any gloating or
negativity). I don't like him any more than I did, but I know I will get over the initial shock.
in time. But I - but we all - need that time.

So, I beg you all out here - let's be tolerant and understanding and compassionate. After
all, that's what we want our new president to be.

And yes, I do welcome getting back to the discussion of opera as well. As a musician,
music has helped me through the last few days, and I tend to think that music can help us
all to heal.

"E vo gridando pace!
E vo gridando amor!
E vo gridando amor!"

On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 13:53:20 -0500, Peggy Houdek <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Les, what a terrific post. I so agree with you. I too have been terribly depressed at the
outcome of the election.  Depressed and fearful.  I also have supported Hillary in both
elections.  But continuing to bask in fear and hatred just isn’t helpful.  I had thought
how could anybody vote for him?”  Well, there were lots of “anybodys”, altho not
as many as voted for Hillary, which something that must be changed somehow in the
future. It seems to me that the best thing we can do is to express as much concern and
love as we can to all those we touch.  I have that button “Love trumps hate” which I
think is more important now than during the election.  So, let’s try to do good work
wherever we can, even in small gestures, to those in need.  Hopefully, Trump will
somehow do some good work and we can all express our discontent if he doesn’t.
Along with trying to express love to all.  Off my soapbox!

>Peggy
>
>(,,,) ^..^(,,,)
>

>> On Nov 11, 2016, at 1:16 PM, Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> I may end up being lambasted off this Board, but here goes:
>> I agree with Don completely. The election is over; the fat lady has sung; the people
have spoken, and that's all. I was a Hillary supporter and I feel bad that she lost.
>> I was depressed about it on Wednesday and yesterday, but now that there are reasons
for everything. There has been an undercurrent of discontent in this country since BEFORE
Obama was elected in 2008 (I also voted for Hillary in THAT primary!). The "discontent"
evolved into a very large sleeping dragon that was growing and growing right before our
very noses. Neither the Democrats or Republicans seemed to notice. Arthur Miller's
immortal Willie Loman was residing in homes and apartments all over the country. Few
seemed to know these people were even ALIVE --------- with families to support and with
no jobs (or horrendously low paying ones) and if they did, they attributed it to "the shitty
job market". Bernie Sanders, to his credit, made note of this, and even quoted a line from
"Death of a Salesman" (the monologue by his wife),. "Attention Must Be Paid". Trump
actually agreed with Sanders on this one.
>> An "upset" like the one we have just witnessed does not "just happen". The seeds
were planted long ago, neither the Democrats or Republicans seemed to see it growing.
When an "outsider" like Trump can squash sixteen GOP candidates like Godzilla, "attention
should have been paid" by both Democrats and Republicans. No. It was dissed as a joke, a
"show biz antic", etc.
>> In addition to the Willie Lomans of this country, there were those who were vomiting
from things such as "political correctness", terrorist attacks on our own soil (Orlando, San
Bernadino, Boston) as well as in Europe, the gun violence, the massacres in movie
theaters, etc. With all due respect to Mr. Obama, "attention was NOT being paid".
>> ISIS is now active in 34 countries -------- MORE attention not being paid. Our
educational system is in shambles Music and Art, so important to enrich one's life and
soul, are all but extinct in the American Educational System - STILL MORE ATTENTION
NOT BEING PAID.
>> In July, a man with a passport from Pakistan was discovered late at night inside of a
water filtration plant on Chicago's lakefront. How did he get it? NO ATTENTION BEING
PAID.
>> I have no idea whether Trump can solve these problems, and neither does anyone
else. But despite my support for Hillary, and my lifelong Democratic values, I am having a
very difficult time wondering how this country could survive yet another eight years
without a major upheaval.
>> I'm sure that I'm facing a fate here as bad as Radames, Anna Bolena, and Roberto
Devereux. But I'll try to find a support group.