Subject: IT'S OVER AND IT'S TIME TO MOVE ON TO OPERA
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 11 Nov 2016 18:16:33 +0000

I may end up being lambasted off this Board, but here goes:
I agree with Don completely. The election is over; the fat lady has sung; the people have spoken, and that's all. I was a Hillary supporter and I feel bad that she lost.
I was depressed about it on Wednesday and yesterday, but now that there are reasons for everything. There has been an undercurrent of discontent in this country since BEFORE Obama was elected in 2008 (I also voted for Hillary in THAT primary!). The "discontent" evolved into a very large sleeping dragon that was growing and growing right before our very noses. Neither the Democrats or Republicans seemed to notice. Arthur Miller's immortal Willie Loman was residing in homes and apartments all over the country. Few seemed to know these people were even ALIVE --------- with families to support and with no jobs (or horrendously low paying ones) and if they did, they attributed it to "the shitty job market". Bernie Sanders, to his credit, made note of this, and even quoted a line from "Death of a Salesman" (the monologue by his wife),. "Attention Must Be Paid". Trump actually agreed with Sanders on this one.
An "upset" like the one we have just witnessed does not "just happen". The seeds were planted long ago, neither the Democrats or Republicans seemed to see it growing. When an "outsider" like Trump can squash sixteen GOP candidates like Godzilla, "attention should have been paid" by both Democrats and Republicans. No. It was dissed as a joke, a "show biz antic", etc.
In addition to the Willie Lomans of this country, there were those who were vomiting from things such as "political correctness", terrorist attacks on our own soil (Orlando, San Bernadino, Boston) as well as in Europe, the gun violence, the massacres in movie theaters, etc. With all due respect to Mr. Obama, "attention was NOT being paid".
ISIS is now active in 34 countries -------- MORE attention not being paid. Our educational system is in shambles Music and Art, so important to enrich one's life and soul, are all but extinct in the American Educational System - STILL MORE ATTENTION NOT BEING PAID.
In July, a man with a passport from Pakistan was discovered late at night inside of a water filtration plant on Chicago's lakefront. How did he get it? NO ATTENTION BEING PAID.
I have no idea whether Trump can solve these problems, and neither does anyone else. But despite my support for Hillary, and my lifelong Democratic values, I am having a very difficult time wondering how this country could survive yet another eight years without a major upheaval.
I'm sure that I'm facing a fate here as bad as Radames, Anna Bolena, and Roberto Devereux. But I'll try to find a support group.