Subject: change.org election petition - the valid one - Comments
From: David H Spence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 11 Nov 2016 06:02:18 -0500

I do not sign on, that is, on behalf of somebody both winning the popular
vote and losing in the Electoral College, but for several reasons this time
that the EC failed to function as it should, which it rarely ever does.  I also
chafe at the legacy of Senator and our 36th POTUS LBJ of the state of
Texas being in effect overturned by a vulgar mouthed, contemptuous
demagogue, even towards overturning an amendment bearing his name,
instead of banning our religious liberties in this country, better protecting
them.

Our nation's founders installed the EC in the interest of protecting our
people from both mob rule and our individual, smaller, often more rural
states towards their having a fair and proportional say in our election
process in this country.  Winner-takes-all has a precedent in the heritage of
our founders, but one that is weak - only three states that opted for this in
1789.  Those many occasions, national elections during which winner-take-
all has served our people well, let both it and the simplicity of its format do
its job.  For approximately forty-two states of our Union, it still has worked
this time, but however for eight, all with ten or more votes in the EC,
apparently it may not have had - while addressing the specter of voter
intimidation and also the overturning, very in-Constitutional of essential
features of the VRA(Voting Rights Act) that LBJ got passed fifty years ago.

It was also not abiding by the rule of law for Clinton crony Governor
McAuliffe to extend voting rights to a high arbitrary number of felons in his
state (VA), but there were minor abuses from the other side of the aisle as
well apparently, plus cancellation of their privileges would have not
anywhere nearly quite flipped the state back to red. In conclusion, an
invocation to the electors in eight states to transition over to proportional
voting to shift at least nearly fifty EC votes to flipping to blue, except
should Michigan come in favorably for the former first lady, approximately
forty from among seven states  to flip the same way.  Those seven most
likely would or might include Florida, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Ohio,
Georgia, Wisconsin, and Arizona.

Measures toward a censure of McAuliffe or perhaps even impeachment
would also perhaps strengthen the argument we strive to make with this
petition to further lift our striving, our efforts well above an insipid level of
partisan bickering.  Calling for the wholesale abolition of the Electoral
College accomplishes nothing; it would be most favorable for the health of
our cause to remove from even this website any advocacy for that cause,
as it can and should bear no fruit.  Thanks for hearing me out.

David H Spence

https://www.change.org/p/electoral-college-electors-electoral-college-
make-hillary-clinton-president-on-december-19

P,S.  For how much I utterly despise the Clintons, their foundation, their
legacy I almost hemorrhage at even the idea of posting this. Given
however the perils we face, not to mention a healthy continuation of their
legacy in a way to get Orange into office instead - not much of a change in
a few ways.

Furthermore it better protects the rule of law, our election process, even
the very way our Constitutional republic historically was set up to have
done so.  in regards to the Clintons and their corruption, I trust or at least
hope I can trust our people to be able to walk and chew gum at the same
time- can't we?  Hardly at all any help we can trust to have or get from
Susan Collins (R - Maine) however.

Let's also keep our police and peaceful demonstrators on our streets in our
thoughts and prayers during this very fraught and anxious time.

David H Spence