Subject: Why isn't Malin Byström more famous?
From: Max Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 10 Nov 2016 21:33:36 -0800

I think she's a knockout, vocally, visually, musically and dramatically.

Dennis, I know - she reminds you of Carol Neblett.  Except you could fit two of her into Neblett's physique and I never heard Neblett sing with the purity, focus and control I hear in Byström.

She's better live in the house than heard via a microphone, just because the voice is so gloriously big and loud but the quality is also beautiful.  And she seems at home in a really wide variety of repertoire - this spurred by hearing her really marvelous live Donna Anna on Sirius tonight after being tremendously impressed by her Jenufa last summer.  Her ROH "Idomeneo" Elettra was a stunner.

Given her looks and stage sensibility, having a voice of such size, range and sheer solidity leads me to expect great things from her.  Maybe Elsa and Elisabeth, maybe Aida and Minnie.

But why aren't more folks raving about her?

Max Paley

Sent from my iPad
Modify your settings: