Subject: Fwd: Most Exciting Amneris (was Re: SF Opera "Aida")
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 8 Nov 2016 06:37:03 -0500

Giulietta Simionato stands alone. There have been a number of other
great performers of the Italian mezzo rep, but none approach her.
I saw Cossotto, Troyanos, Gorr, Bumbry and Verrett, (as well as the
hateful Obraztsova) and they were all impressive, but.....

I saw Simionato as Amneris, Santuzza, Azucena, Rosina and Romeo
in Capuleti, the last a concert in Carnegie Hall with Mary Costa. Among
my greatest memories, all.

Listen to her Amneris and Santuzza in any live performances, and hear
what is possible. "E vostra moglie lui rapiva a me" is, to this day,
perhaps my most indelible vocal memory. I certainly have never heard
its equal.

To her memory!

Bob