Subject: Re: November 8 and the rise of barbarism
From: London Tier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 10 Nov 2016 16:01:55 -0800

No matter how horrified you feel by this result, no matter how judgmental
you are about the people who enabled Trump, you have to hope that the best
people available will come forward now and be willing to serve in a Trump
administration. People with good reputations and real expertise. We cannot
afford to question the motives or integrity of anyone who joins this
administration. We want the best people who can get in the door and we have
to hope that being president of the United States brings out the best in
Donald Trump. Campaigning for the presidency brough out the worst. It
showed what he is like as an embattled narcissist and fabulist and
demagogue. But now he has won. Now he will be surrounded by people seeking
the warm glow of his power. Now he will inspire fear. Actual fear, not
merely scorn in his critics. He is no longer just a clown. He is the most
powerful clown on earth. We have to hope that winning to this degree will
pacify some of his demons.

Is there a historical or psychological precedent for this? We are about to
find out what happens to a man with a famously, palpably, visibly unhealthy
ego who suddenly triumphs over everyone who ever doubted him. This was a
man when he voted in New York at his polling place got jeered by a crowd on
Tuesday in a city that voted 87 percent against him. And one he is going to
ride back into town on Air Force One. Imagine the way his ego feels right
now. Just imagine the satisfaction Trump will feel when he takes possession
of the White House and shows President Obama the door. The first black
president who humiliated him in front of all the Washington elites at the
White House correspondents dinner a couple weeks ago. Go watch footage of
that. All of those laughs at his expense. Trump has been a punchline for
decades. He has been the Rodney Dangerfield of billionaires. But that
moment with Obama at the podium was the worst! And now Trump gets to tell
Barack Obama to get out of his house and then tear his legacy to shreds. We
have the first black president being shown the door by a man who always
questioned his legitimacy in racist terms and who is officially endorsed by
the KKK. Only Shakespeare could do this moment justice.

So while Trump seems he could become some sort of Caligula with an iPhone
we have to hope that our democratic institutions will restrain him and that
the awesome responsibilities thrust his way will bring out the better
angels of his nature. I think normalising this mess might be the best we
can do for the time being. Needless to say a pendulum swing into left wing
identity politics will not be helpful but it seems extremely likely to
occur. In fact it is already happening with these ridiculous protests we
are seeing in several cities under the banner of 'NOT MY PRESIDENT'. Good
luck with that.

What we need are smart ethical people in the political center who can
defend freedom of speech and science and the norms of civil discourse from
their enemies on both the right and the left.