Subject: Re: Why Hillary lost the election, not!
From: william kasimer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 10 Nov 2016 12:25:38 -0500

On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 12:14:39 -0500, Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The popular. vote is irrelevant to the more important issue
>of the requirements of the Electoral College, but she did receive
>more votes than The Donald, which, like it or not, means
>that more voters chose her than chose him. That is no small

Perhaps, but it's worth remembering that *if* we elected presidents via national popular
vote, the numbers might look somewhat different.

Here in Massachusetts, many conservatives stay home and don't bother to vote in a
presidential election, because the outcome in this state is a foregone conclusion (we
were, you might recall, the only state that voted for George McGovern in 1972, and the
state hasn't become any less liberal since then).  This year, disgusted with my choices, I
had the luxury of knowing that my vote wouldn't matter, so I took the liberty of writing in
"NONE OF THE ABOVE" (I showed up at the polls because there were four important
binding referenda).  Without the electoral college, I would likely have cast a vote for one
of the two major party candidates.

Massachusetts isn't the only state dominated by a single political party, and it's hard to
guess what the popular vote would look like, if it actually mattered.

Modify your settings: