Subject: Re: november 8 and the rise of barbarism
From: Marc Shepherd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 10 Nov 2016 12:25:12 -0500

*Now I'm convinced that her defeat can also be interpreted as a direct
repudiation of the policies of Barack Obama.*

It must be noted that Clinton won the popular vote, and lost the electoral
college due to losing three “firewall states” by under one percent apiece.
Florida was about 1½ percent. Now, I am not minimizing it: in a “normal”
year, a democrat should’ve won those states comfortably. Still, it was not
very much — enough that tactical errors likely accounted for it. This is
not like Michael Dukakis losing to George H. W. Bush, a defeat so sweeping
and total that a different ground game could not conceivably have altered
it.

It's an extremely intriguing suggestion that Clinton probably would have
done better if she’d stayed in the Senate all this time. I read a lot of
election coverage, and I haven’t seen that one before. You could very well
be right. There would have been no email server scandal, which, given the
closeness of the result, was probably all the difference. It's easy to
forget now, but when she was in the Senate, Clinton had reasonably good
favorability ratings.

--
Marc Shepherd
New York, NY