Subject: Re: november 8 and the rise of barbarism
From: David H Spence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 10 Nov 2016 11:13:44 -0500

Tuesday evening Chamber Music Houston provided me the opportunity to avoid
watching election returns until almost 10 15 CT; I owe them a real debt of
gratitude, I realize now, after an absolutely splendid visit here by the
Jerusalem String Quartet, culminating in a near-revelatory account of the
Opus 106 of Antonin Dvorak. I was practically waiting for Karita Mattila to
come out to sing a newly discovered lieder finale to the piece, the
expression, enough to throw the center of gravity off for me for several
minutes at the beginning of this, verged so much on being operatic. (That is
an idea; perhaps we could go discover one - LOL)  Rusalka seems practically
like an oratorio by comparison and to any of the best Janacek operas, Jenufa
included, especially as it continues, I trust, at the Met, for just two more
performances.

Now to the political race:

And then the illusion of this being any normal kind of evening, much less at
all any pleasant one, fell away very quickly.  The streets of Oakland, CA
were reported to be burning just hours later.  I wound up voting for neither
one, but third-party instead, and likely like some of you, got blamed and/or
warned for doing so. My reaction when the returns finally effectively
finished coming in for the evening was of almost like how one reads how
shell-shock is described.  I agree with at least one other poster here is
that I'd never want Trump to be President, but hopefully he'll rely upon a
small measure of circumspection he has in his arsenal somewhere with which
to hold himself in check  Reliance upon weak (Priebus) to quixotic, weird,
and weak (Christie, Gingrich, Giuliani) advisors for any advice on how to
proceed from here is hardly any consolation however.

Whatever one thinks of Obama - I voted for him both times - he prevented
Hillary Clinton from making it in any sooner than she did.  Anyone who
thinks however that the Clintons have really gone away or have been purged
from Democratic party life or from connections they have forged with the
more corrupt among Republicans are missing out on something - more often
willfully than not.  All the media spin on it being difficult, painful for
Clinton to concede yesterday is just that- spin.  In order to buy into this,
the empathy we are buying into is artificial, but still a little more
substantive than Bill Clinton can feel. For a few moments, I wasn't sure it
might have been Florence Henderson to get up and read the tele-prompter
instead - and had to check with a few people afterwards. Yes, Hillary lost,
but down deep she may see herself in a more comfortable place and position
of longer, steadier  continuing influence than if she had won.  She is
clearly not Bill Clinton and I do not mean that as any compliment.

Not only that there still is Chelsea and other than the White House, the
Cliintons did not entirely lose (anything) on Tuesday night.  They might
have eventually lost more, had Hillary won.  Trust me, they really have not
gone away - not as of yet.  In fact, they own this thing, I think,
regardless all the racism, sexism (and xenophobia) regardless all of that.
Sheila Jackson Lee, sitting near the front row for the concession speech,
owns this thing too. In how behind the scenes they may have helped to
influence GOP results, nobody could have anticipated the outcome of their
doing so.  And yet, however, there was hardly any look or expression of
shock on the part of Hillary Clinton Wednesday morning. These are longtime
friends of the Trumps, recipients of generous donations thereof, including
during the 2008 primary season, but not limited to that.

The reaction to the news cycle, especially when it went south for Hillary
with the diasclosure of the Comey letter, but hardly less so to those
moments that the Clintons would find much more favorable was something to
behold as one long distance removed from any of the rest of us.  The long
victory rally with Independence Hall in the background on Monday evening, I
noticed while watching it, fell entirely flat. It was so lacking in
resonance - contrast this with the speech Obama gave in Ann Arbor earlier
that same day, it was practically as though Frank Huang (former), Wayne
Brooks and the other first stands of the Houston Symphony string section had
surreptitiously taken the Stude Concert Hall stage Tuesday evening, claiming
to be the Jerusalem Quartet, instead of who did. The ushers greeted all
patrons with blindfolds that evening - NOT.  Bill Clinton with Independence
Hall highlighted and accompanied by an enormous throng of people - come on!
 Anybody who really failed to see this were in for a worse shock Tuesday
night than myself.

A major reason Trump won was that the voters had become sick and tired of
the endless entitlement mentality- a natural to both of the Clintons and it
is sickening. The condescension Hillary expressed during the second and
third debates was not only directed towards her well-deserving opponent, but
to all of this- and this followed her into Monday night and election night
more than anything else. Our founding founders, with a wisdom to far exceed
their own life spans, set up the electoral college, though which temporarily
failed itself (a rare occurrence still), militated against, pardon me, set
it up to militate against this this being the case.

No, we the American people have lost. Even the never-Trumpers, including,
Rubio, a swinger in his past, including Ted Cruz especially as well, fail to
see this. The base, some of it only hypocritically evangelical anymore,
still has some of its grip on the GOP.  The GOP, it goes without saying,
needs to remain the voice that it is for the unborn (and for the public
health), because otherwise politically, they have no voice, except for what
allies they have in the severely disabled, terminally ill, etc.  We should
be hearing a speech from John Kasich today; in fact we still should - and
there's also Lindsey Graham.  Look not to Hillary Clinton,  also not to
either James Dobson or Jerry Falwell, Jr., should you want to hear a sincere
expression of faith and for what role it plays in our political process in
terms of the character of what our presidential nominee should be, but to
John Kasich.  Graham and Kasich are the voices for moderation in the GOP -
much better to turn to for counsel and advice than either Giuliani or
Gingrich - hardly at all only for that reason.

As for the Johnson amendment, any idea of repealing or burying it, even
suggesting doing so, hang it up, please put this to rest.   Just as FDR gave
us Glass-Steagall in 1933, Senator LBJ gave us this in 1954.  At the very
least as precautionary measures, both of them in fact good for evangelicals
and for our country at large, they are meant to remain.

For the speechifying about healing the divisions, reaching across the aisle
- we hear these things every year the day; they are now meaningless cliches,
but this time they'd better not be. - It is now pressing time for the GOP to
listen to these voices, within their own party not only of Graham, Sasse,
Kasich, McCain - or else in effect there may no longer be a GOP.  We, I
indeed fear, face some very trying days ahead.

David H Spence