Subject: Mean Spirited Met
From: Kathy Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 8 Nov 2016 18:50:24 -0500

Just to add to this long list, I have another story.  While I am a retired teacher on a
limited budget, I was incredibly excited when Jannai Brugger was scheduled to make her
Met debut as Liu in Turandot in late October, 2012 (a last minute substitution.)  I was
thrilled, especially because I thought I would never know a singer making a debut at the
Met. So I got tickets to opening night, booked a hotel and flights from Los Angeles, and
booked a ticket to whatever was on the night after Turandot.  Of course, along came
Hurricane Sandy and my flight was cancelled.  JetBlue gave me a refund on my plane
tickets and the hotel did the same.  But the Met gave me until December to reschedule
my ticket.  I explained over and over (yes, I spoke with a supervisor) that I live in LA and
could not afford to fly to New York by December - but I had a trip in March in would like
to use them then. No deal.

I don't know who is running public relations, but those two tickets went down the drain.  I
dropped my membership in the Met Guild and since then buy nothing but rush tickets
unless I am absolutely positive a performance will be sold out (I think twice in four
years.)  And just to be clear, midweek rush tickets can be obtained pretty readily if you
are sitting at your computer at 12:00 exactly.  As you all have observed, there are plenty
of empty seats midweek!

I think the Met PR person needs to go take lessons from Nordstroms - one of the few
department stores still thriving. It has a policy that - no matter what you think privately -
you treat the customer as always right and take the returns.

Modify your settings: