Subject: Re: Why Hillary lost the election
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 14 Nov 2016 15:37:31 -0500

I understand what you are saying, Marty, but I want to
separate myself from the word "ignorance".

I come from a working class background, whose father was a
factory worker and a union member. Like millions of others
before him and after him, he prepared for life by attending
school through his high school years, knowing he could raise
a family as a machinist, and he did. Millions like him had
limited horizons, but they thought they knew that their humble
goals would be met. Well, they no longer do, and because
technology has advanced at such a rapid pace, opportunity has
passed them by. They are angry. It's no one's fault; it is
called progress, though many who have been left behind, have
more colorful words to describe it.

We blithely talk about retraining, but that is easier said than done,
and if fifty somethings can be retrained, many employers would rather
invest in younger workers who will, long term, give them more bang
for the buck.

They may often not be sophisticated, but they are not ignorant. They
were ok until events beyond their control robbed them of what little
security they had. I have huge sympathy for them.

BTW, to give this a little musical content, my father went to Bryant High
School in Astoria NY, with both Ethel Merman and Rise Stevens. He
knew them both as a young man.

Bob