Subject: Re: Imelda Staunton in "Gypsy"
From: John Feather <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 14 Nov 2016 14:30:25 -0500

I too liked Staunton's performance.  She was more unhinged, desperate.
This was a verismo performance of what is usually a Broadway diva role.
It is the only time I have choked up at the end.  She was totally broken at
the end, IMHO.  As for the rest of the performance, remember it was the
record of a live show; and I liked how seedy the strippers were; it was
definitely the bottom of the barrel.  Obviously, not for everyone, but
another fascinating variation on one of the great musical theatre works
Broadway ever produced.

Modify your settings: