Subject: Re: SF Opera "Aida"
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 7 Nov 2016 18:21:26 -0800

This started wars in San Francisco in 1977.  Aida had two casts, the first with Cossotto as Amneris (and Maria Parazzini as Aida, who seemed to disappear right after), a later cast with Troyanos as Amneris (Eva Marton’s SF debut as Aida).

Cossotto had a huge fan base and it was her SF debut.  Troyanos also had admirers here since her spectacular 1975 Poppea (standees were groping each other during the final duet) and her Santuzza.

Before singing Amneris in ’77 she had been a wonderful Composer to Leontyne Price’s Ariadne

The big war was over which Amneris.  Those who loved Cossotto thought Troyanos was too small a voice and miscast.  Those who loved Troyanos found Cossotto unnecessarily loud, harsh and edged.

I admired Cossotto’s output of sound and emotion, but I ultimately was much more involved and moved by Troyanos.

Max Paley