Subject: Re: SF Opera "Aida"
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 7 Nov 2016 10:53:17 -0500

Thanks so much for your comments on the difficulties in hearing/seeing a satisfactory "Aida,"
with which I heartily concur.  I would love to hear Netrebko do it; I think it would be an ideal
fit for her voice at this point in her career, as she has developed into a really solid spinto
soprano with a gorgeous sound and a good high C.  And, of course, she is a credible actress.

I think ideal casting for an "Aida" with currently active singers would be:  Aida - Anna
Netrebko; Radames - Jonas Kaufmann; Amneris - Jamie Barton; Amonasro - ? Several
possibilities but none of them inspired.  I would love to hear Nezet-Seguin conduct it.  "Aida"
has one of the most extraordinary orchestral scores in all opera.

Re the mezzo's "Ah, vieni, amor mio!" in Act II - one of the funniest things I ever read in a
review was Manuela Hoelterhoff, reviewing a mid-80s Met Aida, remarking on Fiorenza
Cossotto's "celibacy-inspiring 'Ah, vieni, amor mio.' "  Alas, too many mezzos' delivery of that
phrase would cause any Egyptian warrior to consider a spot of celibacy.

Modify your settings: