Subject: Re: Ashes-Scatterer Apologies in Letter to Gelb
From: Carol Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 4 Nov 2016 19:06:14 -0400

I was at the performance last Saturday. The Met did nothing wrong. It is my
understanding that Mr. Kaiser left at the second intermission immediately
after distributing his friend's ashes in the orchestra pit, so he could not
have been questioned. The fact that he left when he did, in fact, suggests
to me that he was aware that what he was doing was wrong.

In any event, there would have been no way to immediately test the powder
to determine what it was. Indeed, even if immediate confirmation was
possible, to my mind it would have been very wrong to expect the conductor
and orchestra to carry on after human remains had been dumped into their
work space.

I also think the Met was right not to tell the audience that a mysterious
white substance had been found in the pit. Many people might have been hurt
in the resulting panic. It was better simply to let us calmly file out
thinking that part of the scenery had malfunctioned.

Carol F.