Subject: Re: Ashes-Scatterer Apologies in Letter to Gelb
From: Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 4 Nov 2016 08:13:28 -0400

Not that it matters at this point, but folks need to separate the charming
and loving gesture of friend to friend from the public impact of that
gesture.

I certainly understand the impetus of the action;  many of us have impulses
to take action (me, in a car, at rush hour, when some bozo tries to cross
three lanes of blocked traffic at full speed to get to that exit he knew was
coming three miles back) but most of us take the time to consider the impact
of our decisions (if I let him ram my car rather than let him in, who wins?)
and we accommodate with a rational response to that impulse.

But ashes dude didn't let the rational response to his impulse take over;
instead, he acted on his impulse in a deliberate manner.  Really, does any
sane one among us think that sprinkling powder DURING an opera performance
was all right?  Not just taking a handful and placing it in a corner
somewhere unobtrusively, but in the most highly visible and impactful place
possible?

No matter how loving, how caring, how noble his impulse, there were
consequences to his actions.  And those consequences are what we should be
looking at, not the act itself.

And we need to separate out the motivation for the action from the results
of the action and then determine if there is liability.  The Met says no.
I'm not sure everyone agrees and I'm not sure it was the right decision
considering the costs to the customers but that's the debate that should be
happening.

Should there be consequences for the effect of his actions?