Subject: Re: Ashes-Scatterer Apologies in Letter to Gelb
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 3 Nov 2016 15:55:33 -0400

I still remember, during that anthrax scare in 2001, getting something in the mail one day
that had me in a bit of a panic. Something in a regular plain white envelope, addressed, in
handwriting, to me, but with no return address on it. I wrestled a bit with my thoughts,
thinking "surely no one would send me anthrax" and yet, with the scare a big deal at the
time, the mailing did seem suspicious. (The handwriting didn't look familiar - I would have
recognized something from my parents or a close relative, for instance.)

Finally, I opened it, carefully, to find a note from a local cancer fund soliciting donations.

Of all things.

I think I was so relieved (yet rattled) that it didn't really occur to me to call the
organization and give them a bit of what for for not having a businesslike return address on
the envelope, at very least. But I didn't. In hindsight, I should have.

I'm glad Gelb took the opportunity to emphasize the stupidity and the consequences of
this guy's actions, even while accepting the apology and being as understanding as he
could be. I don't always like what Gelb does in general, but I applaud him on his response
to this.

And I think that's plenty for Mr. Kaiser to deal with at this point - this thing happened,
hopefully he learned a hell of a lot from not considering the consequences, and that, I
think, should be that. He's gotten his public excoriation - we, IMO, need not give him

On Thu, 3 Nov 2016 15:12:18 -0400, Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I think that those who want to let him get off with a "mea culpa"
>may have forgotten how post offices, office buildings and a
>number of other public structures were shut down, affecting
>thousands upon thousands of people for days at a time, just
>because of a suspicious white substance that might have been,
>and in a few cases was, Anthrax.

Modify your settings: