Subject: Re: Could Judy Garland Have Sung Opera?
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 1 Nov 2016 10:09:29 -0400

Kate Smith, the only popular singer thus far mentioned who actually
had a vioice of operatic dimensions, was persuaded by Leopold
Stokowski,  around 1937, and later, by Andre Kostelanetz, to sing
Dalila's  "Mon coeur . .", in an English translation, which she did
quite well.  Otherwise, her interest in opera was non-existent, and
she didn't mind saying so, although there are performances by her of
"When Your Lover Has Gone" , for example, where the expressive
intensity of the musical arrangements she chose, suggest otherwise.
When Jean Stapleton, on television, compared her to Flagstad, she
could only say: "your puttin' me in terrific company!"

dtmk