Subject: Re: Ashes-Scatterer Apologies in Letter to Gelb
From: Alain Letort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 3 Nov 2016 13:18:49 -0400

I remember reading — in “The New York Times,” I think — that many people had
traveled from far and wide to see “Guillaume Tell” at the Met.  In
particular, I read about an elderly couple from Hawaii — people not swimming
in money, apparently — who had traveled all the way from Honolulu to New
York for the specific purpose of seeing the “Guillaume Tell” matinee.  They
are now out the airfare, out the hotel expenses, out the restaurant meals
and other incidental expenses, and not only did they not see a full
“Guillaume Tell,” given their age they will probably never have an
opportunity of seeing it again.  All the people who traveled from out of
town — and there are many — are likewise shortchanged hundreds of $$$.  They
are all mad and hell and I don’t blame them.  I too travel from out of town
to attend Met performances and it cost *me* hundreds of $$$ to attend
“Guillaume Tell” (ticket, hotel room, restaurants, DC-NY-DC limo bus fare,
etc.). It was well worth the expense, but if this had happened to me, I
would be *spitting* mad.

Not to mention the financial loss to the Metropolitan Opera.

Not to mention all the people who were terrified that they had breathed in
anthrax spores.

I am scandalized and indignant that this irresponsible lunatic dickhead
nutcase Kaiser, who has his picture taken with an apple on his head, gets
off scot-free with just an “oops, soooor-ry” letter.

This type of behavior is so typical of the “me-me-me” mentality that has
overtaken this country.

And yes, Peter Gelb was totally correct, in his response, in pointing out
the inconvenience and harm Kaiser inflicted on Met operagoers.

So there.

All the best,

Alain Letort
Washington, D.C.