Subject: Re: Tucker Gala on Medici
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 2 Nov 2016 20:11:08 -0700

I was impressed with Jamie Barton's Adalgisa in San Francisco - rich, luscious singing with ridiculously easy high Cs - but I was even more stunned by her "Götterdämmerung" 2nd Norn and, even more, Waltraute in the DC "Ring" last May.

This was Golden Age singing.

We've lamented the lack of true Hochdramatisch sopranos and Heldentenors, but we've also been missing the great Wagnerian mezzo/contralto to really own Fricka, Waltraute, Brangäne and Ortrud in the Thorborg/Klose/Gorr/Ludwig tradition.  She could fit that bill.

She'll be Fricka and Waltraute for the 2018 SF Ring.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone