Subject: Re: Tucker Gala on Medici
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 2 Nov 2016 13:52:09 -0400

I was there, in the balcony, and I  thought Wilson sounded
rather weak, in terms of volume, on everything but the top
notes.  The basic quality is good, what I  could hear of her,
but in comparison to Netrebko,  Barton and Di Donato
(not a huge voice), Wilson's  voice did not have much
presence or impact, at least from where I  was sitting.
She sounds like a lyric to me, not even a spinto.  Fleming
likewise sounded underpowered (and I did not like her
selections).

As for what they could cut for a PBS telecast: both
selections by Opelais, IMO a very undistinguished voice
(although she is nice to look at).

I agree with the negative comments on Wilson's  gowns.
Very unflattering, in both cut and color, particularly that
puce number.  Flowing draperies would have looked
better (what a friend of mine used to call "shower curtain
dresses").

MDW