Subject: Re: Adorno on "Opera's True Object"
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 1 Nov 2016 19:59:01 -0700

You may not like it, but it's not baloney.

It's using music in a home environment and creating "theater of the mind" around it.  For me, it would never replace live performance but it can still be a very compelling experience for people who have the imagination, patience, listening environment and sound system.

Producers like John Culshaw were trying to make records that promoted this experience.  It's not for everybody but can be an alternative way of immersion in an opera that, with its heightening of detail and nuance, can be very satisfying.

I actually prefer listening at home like this over watching DVDs.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone