Subject: Richard Tucker Gala makes for magnificent music (10-30-16)
From: Alan Savada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 31 Oct 2016 15:25:01 -0400

Last night's Richard Tucker Gala moved back to Carnegie Hall for the first time in many years. It was a welcome change and also the addition of a live stream on Medici TV online was a real treat especially since we can all watch it for free for the next 90 days. It will also air on WQXR online and on the radio in New York at 9 p.m. on November 19th.

As always there were cancellations and we sadly missed the debut of tenor Yusif Eyvazov off who broke his foot.
It was just over two hours of music which started with Wagner's "Entrance of the Guests" from Tannhauser featuring the New York Choral Society who found the magnificent all evening, which had many latecomers parading in as well!
Next came this year's Tucker Award winner Tamara Wilson who sang ""Dich teure Halle" from the same opera, featuring some of the most awesome pianissimi I have ever heard.
She was followed by Renee Fleming who sang "Adieu not really petite table" from Massenet's Manon as well as Leoncavallo's Mattinata.
Tenor Javier Camarena, who hit more high notes than anyone else all night held the last note of Rossini's "La danza" for what seemed to be forever.
Nadine Sierra gave us a magnificent Lucia with "Regnava nel silenzio," and Kristine Opolais made us want to go hear her upcoming Rusalka at the Metropolitan with that aria.
Ms. Wilson returned with a rare treat in Verdi's "Tu al cui sguardo omnipossente" from I due Foscari with a stellar cabaletta.
Last year's winner Jamie Barton returned with a deliciously melting "Mon coeur souvre a ta voix" from Samson and Delilah.
Who knew how many high notes could be sung by two tenors simultaneously and  Mr. Camarena was joined by Lawrence Brownlee for "Ah vieni nel tuo sangue" from Rossini's Otello in which the two of them seem to be jokingly holding the high notes longer and longer as they went along.
Anna Netrebko, whom I have not heard live in some time sounded like her voice had just completely grown up with Giordano's "La mamma morta" from Chenier, followed by an unannounced opening aria from Adriana Lecouvreur in which her line "la mia voce" just floated through the house and then she wowed the entire audience with a huge crescendo and decrescendo on the final "morro."
What had to be a New York Premiere was Joyce Didonato  singing "Si son io" from Great Scott and then she introduced Jake Heggie who was in the audience.
Ms. Wilson and Ms. Barton were joined by tenor Joshua Guerrero in the Act 1 finale of Bellini's Norma. His career seems to have skyrocketed and now he is also a winner of one of the Tucker grants this year.
Mr. Brownlee sang a gorgeously plaintive yet vocally  showy "Seul sur la terre" from Donizetti's Dom Sebastien, which was followed by  Butterfly's "Un bel di vedremo" for Ms. Opolais.
One of the highlights was easily the duet from Handel's Giulio Cesare, "Son nata a lagrimar" for mezzos Barton and Didonato.
More high notes abounded when Mr. Camarena  returned with Ms. Sierra for the Puritani duet "Vieni fra questa braccia."
The finale for Ms Wilson and Mr. Guerrero was a beautiful "Make Our Garden Grow" from Candide, again joined by the New York Choral Society which almost had me in tears.
What a wonderful night it was, and the post-gala dinner this year moved to the ballroom at The Plaza Hotel which was a wonderful treat as we all mingled with the singers and many other opera stars such as Ailyn Perez and the great Neil Shicoff (there's a foto on my FB page of that!)
Alan Savada
Washington DC

Modify your settings: