Subject: Willuiam Tell and Tristan
From: Jean Scarr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 31 Oct 2016 11:22:47 -0400

I usually write a few comments when I see a Wagner opera at the Met.  I had planned to do so, but I was so depressed after seeing this very dark and misconstrued "Tristan" on Oct. 17 that I decided to remain silent.  Musically, it was wonderful, but I had already known that from the opening night stream, even though I was upset about the substantial cut in Act II.  However, I am writing  because on Oct. 18 I saw the opening night production of "William Tell", an opera I had never seen or heard.  I did some homework by listening to a complete performance on CD.   What a pleasant surprise!  I am not a Rossini enthusiast, but the music in this, his last opera, really has depth.  It looks forward to Verdi, and the choral writing is so inspiring, especially the concluding piece.  I have read a few comments regarding the production, which I found completely satisfying, especially since it was well lit.  One could actually SEE the action.  It was stylized, but it fit the story,  Musically, it was a total success.  If you can imagine being present on back to back marathon evenings of opera: the first being my favorite of all opera (Tristan) whose production was riddled with directorial distractions , which completely destroyed the sublime music, and which is staged in almost complete darkness and then to see a completely unknown opera, bathed in light with a visual which supports the text, and which, like "Tristan" was beautifully sung and played.  It was such a striking contrast that for those who have unkind things to say about "Tell"'s production should have seen "Tristan".   I would be happy to see this "Tell" again; I hope never to revisit this "Tristan" production.  Jean

Modify your settings: