Subject: Re: Elvis and opera
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 31 Oct 2016 10:48:03 -0400

There are, of course, singers who *were* classically trained, who eventually decided to
make their career in rock music instead. Pat Benatar comes to mind. Billy Joel comes from
a family of classical musicians and has a love for classical piano (and classical music in
general) in addition to the music he is more famous for writing and performing.

There are also singers like Linda Ronstadt, who, aside from performing a number of
different popular styles during her career, also was famous for her Mabel in the Joe Papp
production of The Pirates of Penzance on Broadway. Yes, she was miked (they all were, of
course), but she did manage the soprano/coloratura side of the music quite well, and quite
charmingly. Though several sections of the music were transposed for her, it was to avoid
the middle part of the voice, not the high notes (which were all done as written). That
production even interpolated "Sorry Her Lot" from HMS Pinafore for her to sing as well. She
did attempt Mimi in La Boheme a few years later, which was NOT a good fit - but the fact
that she could sing Mabel is still quite an accomplishment.

On Sun, 30 Oct 2016 17:22:30 -0400, Tom Frey <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Let us not forget other singers who could have turned to opera: Randy Travis, Willie
Nelson, Dolly Parton,Kitty Well and last, but not least, Johnny Cash.  Yee Haw PS I forgot
all about Cousin Minnie Pearl.