Subject: ARTISTS' EVENTS ON HALLOWEEN EVE
From: Bob Dilley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 30 Oct 2016 09:31:03 -0400

Dukas' "Sorcerer's Apprentice" is ideal to listen to as you enjoy this
Halloween poem.

Twas the night before Halloween, when all through the house
 Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
 The pumpkins were by the front door with care,
 In hopes that St Jack-O-Lantern soon would be there.

The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
 While visions of Baby Ruth’s & Snickers danced in their heads.
 And Mom in her Cat Women costume, and I as Batman,
 Had just settled our brains well you Know the plan.

When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
 I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
 Away to the window I flew like a flash,
 Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.

As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
 When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky.
 So up to the front door the coursers they flew,
 With the wagon full of candy, and St Jack-O-Lantern too.

And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the porch
 The clanging of chains & the ringing of bells.
 As I drew in my head, and was turning around,
 Through the front door St Jack-O-Lantern bound.

He was dressed all in orange, from his head to his foot,
 And his clothes were all tarnished because of the rain.
 A bag full of Candy he had flung on his back,
 And he looked like a peddler, just opening his pack.

His eyes-how they twinkled! His dimples how scary!
 His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
 And 5 crooked teeth was all he could show.

The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth,
 And the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath.
 He had a broad face and a little round belly,
 That shook when he laughed, like a bowlful of jelly!

He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old Jack,
 And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of the fright!
 A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
 Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread.
 He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
 And filled all the bags with candy, then turned with a jerk.
 And laying his finger aside of his nose,
 And giving a nod, and out the front door he fled!

He sprang to his PumpkinMobile, to his team gave a shout,
 And away they all drove like bat out of hell.
 But I heard him exclaim, ‘ere he drove out of sight,
 “Happy Halloween to all, and to all a good-night!”

Author unknown.

Bob Dilley
CARPE DIEM!!

--