Subject: Re: The Don
From: Ron Magnuson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 22 Oct 2016 18:40:03 -0400

> On Oct 22, 2016, at 6:11 PM, Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>   Sad that Villazon was not able to perform but in his
> place for Don Ottavio was a very able Paul Appleby who sang the hell out
> of "Il mio tesoro".

I also appreciated his singing today, particularly a breathtakingly intimate rendition of Dalla Sua Pace.
Unfortunately, Iím in disagreement about the rest of todayís performance.  I found it curiously flat and I place that primarily at the feet of Fabio Luisi.  There were some lovely individual segments but the sections did not flow together.  They simply limped along and at times stalled altogether.
I find Keenlysideís voice several sizes too light and colorless for this role.  For all of his obvious skill as a actor, he can not, at least at this time, sing this part as it should be sung.
Hibla Gerzmava has a lovely instrument that turns brittle in the upper reaches of the part and does not offer enough color or convincing emotion for the fury and heartbreaking sadness of her character.
Malin Bystrom is incapable, despite some terribly annoying facial distortions, of portraying the manic obsessiveness of Donna Elvira.
I found Serena Malfi's voice metallic and monotonous.  Mathew Rose was fine as Masetto.  I liked his comment during intermission that Masetto was the only character to actually get what he wanted at the end.
I kept wishing that Adam Plachetka was singing the Don instead of Leporello.  A really fine bass-barytone.
Kwnagchul Youn wobbly bass did not frighten me in the least.
Either it was a performance that did not work, or I simply had a bad day.  Maybe both.

Ron Magnuson